James Edward David Cline
Return to J E D Cline's Main Page
Experience and Skills
- Sr. Engineering Technician:
Building, testing, debugging breadboard or prototype electronic analog/digital/RF equipment. Engineering-Production interface, involving preparation of ECOs, writing test procedures, CAD (EEDesigner software used) for drawing + revision of schematics. Evaluation of IC and discrete components for production use. Full documentation of work performed.
- Electronics Design/Development:
Project functions including conceptual refinement, electronic design, CAD schematic drawing, building, testing, debugging electronic instrumentation, programming test system in GPIB-BASIC, reporting project results. Design, debug and construction of electronic test equipment and writing procedures for production tech use.
- Electronics Production Test and Repair:
Test and repair of analog/digital/RF and microprocessor-controlled electronic circuit boards. Thru-hole and surface mount technologies. Use of DMMs, digital/analog oscilloscopes, electronic counters, spectrum analyzers, function generators, and computer-controlled test equipment.
Honors, Awards, Citations, Publications
- "Wet-Launch of Prefab Habitat Modules" pp.88-91 in "Space Manufacturing 10: Pathways to the High Frontier" 1995, proceedings of the Space Studies Institute conference in May, 1995 as published by the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
- Author of 35 files on space technologies in the GEnie Space and Science Library.
- US Patent # 4,055,814 "Phase Lock Loop for Synchronized VCO With Digital Data Pulses" 1977, co-authored with Robert Abraham, assigned to Pertec Computer Corporation.
Relevant Work History
- Test and repair of 12-port ethernet hub logic boards on production test line. Troubleshooting to component level, mixed thru-hole and surface mount component pcba's. Assisted by computer-controlled test system. Layoff due to slow sales on Sept. 30, 1996.
- Plexcom, Inc
- 2255 Agate Ct.
- Simi Valley, CA 93065
- March 1996 to Sept. 30, 1996. Supv: Erma Munoz
- Engineering-production interface, and production electronics test and repair of analog/ digital/RF circuitry. Also preparation of engineering change documentation using Ventura Publisher, and EEDesigner CAD to draw and modify schematics. Designed and built test fixturing including a multiple-frequency / amplitude autosequenced integral-cycle sinewave burst generator. Evaluated discrete components for production use. Developed and wrote some test procedures. Nine years employment, hourly position at $7 to $14/hr. Mass layoff of production and engineering staff in December '95.
- Vehicle Security Electronics, Inc.
- 21540-F Prairie St.
- Chatsworth, CA 91311
- 1986-95 Supv's: Ed Ordokhanian, Mike England, Lee Fleishman, Dale Curtis
- Circuit design and development of analog and digital instrumentation and read/write/servo circuitry. Was formally promoted to Electronics Design/Development Engineer position after successfully serving in that capacity for 1.5 years. Also involved a total test system creation including computer-operated electronic instrumentation (with associated HPIB BASIC programming); designing and conducting experiments in read/write/servo circuitry, writing associated reports. Salaried position equivalent to $16/hr + full benefits; last 1.5 years fully titled as Electronics Design/Development Engineer. Layoff due to closure of most of the floppy disk drive part of the company.
- Shugart Corporation
- Sunnyvale, CA
- 1981-84 Supv: Alastair Heaslett
- Technology Development: Breadboarding, debugging, and performance characterization of experimental and prototype analog/digital electronic circuits. Salaried position equivalent to $12/hr to $14/hr + full benefits.
- Shugart Corporation
- Sunnyvale, CA
- 1978-81 Supv's: Dr. Yoshi Narahara, Dr. Shrikant Desai
- Building electronic test equipment; breadboarding, debugging, and performance characterization of experimental and prototype electronic analog/digital read/write circuits. Some electronic modification design work done, one resulting in a patent. Salaried positions equivalent to $8/hr to $10/hr + full benefits:
- Pertec Computer Corp.
- Chatsworth, CA
- 1973-78 Supv's: Avi Brand, Jim Sciezinski
- Breadboarding, debugging, and space environment temperature performance characterization of experimental and prototype electronic circuits to be used in spacecraft; construction and test of slow-scan spacecraft camera final test equipment systems; assisting in characterization of flight camera tubes. $8/hr.
- Job-shop contracting through VIP Engineering, and Ball Brothers
- Research Corp., work performed at the
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Pasadena, CA
- 1971-73 Supv: Don Montgomery (of JPL)
- Breadboarding, debugging, and performance characterization of experimental and prototype analog electronic circuits. Salaried positions equivalent to $8/hr + full benefits:
- Bissett-Berman Corp.
- Culver City, CA
- 1969-71 Supv's: Jim Pinto, Dan Crawford, Doug Roberts
- Breadboarding, debugging, and performance characterization of experimental and prototype analog electronic circuits. $8/hr.
- Teledyne Control Systems Division
- El Segundo, CA
- 1967-69 Supv: Tom Bidar
- Construction and use of electro-optical instrumentation, analog data processing of analog instrumentation recordings, electronic design and construction using RTL ICs. Mostly classified work on ARPA projects. Also proposed, designed and built an experimental blind reading machine. Built some biomedical electronic instrumentation.
- E. H. Plesset Associates/EGG
- Santa Monica, CA
- 1965-67 Supv's: Dr. R. Blakney, Dr. W. Horning, N. Keefer
- Certification, maintenance and modification of aviation communication and navigation ground station equipment. US Civil Service GS-5 to GS-9
- FAA Western Region
- El Segundo, CA
- 1959-65 Supv's: Jim Maddox, Fred Stuhff
- Calibration and operation of FM/FM radio telemetry ground station equipment in support of rocket testing. Two six-month co-op work sessions in coordination with physics major studies at NMSU. US Civil Service position GS-1 to GS-3.
- White Sands Missle Range
- New Mexico
- 1955-57 Supv's: Jack Cates, Claude Hurd
Education and Training
- Federal Aviation Agency Academy, Oklahoma City, OK: Received certification in Communication Equipment (1960), VHF Omnirange (1961), and TACAN (1962).
- New Mexico State University, State College, NM: Two years toward sciences, in job co-op program, 1954-1959
Associations: Space Studies Institute; The Planetary Society; International Society for Systems Sciences (Los Angeles Chapter.)
References available upon request.
For additional kinds of skills and accomplishments, see also my Non-Electronic Employment , Volunteer Work/Activities , and my Achievements in life.
Page created by James Edward David Cline, updated on 1996 November 15.